15 January 2010

exciting new packaging concepts

Greetings all,
I've spent the school holidays & Christmas break checking out some new handmade packaging ideas for my smaller market products, carry bags as well as shipping from Posie.  My fabulous friend Julie from Handmade Canberra's UpMarket put me onto Divine Twine from America.  At $us15 for 240 yards of each ball of twine which is indeed, divine . . . can't go wrong!!  I made tags & paper Christmas decorations for my brown paper gift wrapping, they looked great under the tree.  I bought every colour they had & noticed the twine wrappers were sealed with the cutest round hand stamped stickers - something i've been wanting to make since Reprodepot sent me some freebies years ago with the same concept, only in a larger brown round hand stamped sticker.  THEN the Divine Twine blog did a feature on where they got their packing stickers from - BrownKraftLabels.com so i ordered tonnes & have been making some handmade stickers with the children using my extensive range of Cavallini stamps (available at Posie).  Sometimes things just line up for you don't they??


blue, purple, orange, yellow & green

The stickers were difficult to photograph with the little digital camera (small & white, always a challenge to shoot quickly) so i popped them onto brown paper bags which will be used for lunch orders when school goes back.  My guys get one lunch order a term, so it's super exciting for them, why not make it pretty too!! 
I picked a range of sizes, colours, shapes & some little pop out small folding cards to make inexpensive hand stamped gift tags for my market stall, plus precut strings.  Stay tuned, the stickers & tags will be available for sale as well as in mixed up stationey packs, all in my head at the moment.  Shipping was expensive but it's something i've wanted to do forever & never knew where to start.  Thought there might be more of you out there dreaming up the same concept & not knowing where to start.
Coincidentally, had a swim with Julie yesterday & she had bought me the boxes of thicker rope style twine from the Donna Hay General Store in Sydney on a recent trip, now i have all 3 colours - red&white, brown&white, blue&brown 50m each.  They are so lovely, perfect to tie onto a spare key & tie up packages.  Thanks Julie!!  Now i'm off to bake some cup cakes & pop them into Donna Hay wrappers, Ok Ok, i'm addicted to nice packaging for everything!! 
Combined with green friendly, recycled & biodegradable packing solutions from Greenwares Australia (Jo, a mum from school's business) it's so much fun to dream up this year's Posie bags, wrapping, note book & packaging, thanks Jo!!
Love Posie

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Great ideas , I love that twine ! My kids only have a lunch order twice (I know spoilt) a term . They really get excited about it .

Tracy said...

I love the twine!

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I am a big fan or brown paper packages tied up with string- Sister Maria was right!
its how I package everything.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

So i'm not alone in LOVING packaging, great!! Also, Whitney from Divine Twine is adorable & friendly, with fabulous ideas. Like my family, her family doesn't quite get the appeal of twisted string. Oh well, more for us!! Love Posie

Purple Paisley Patch said...

Love the twine! I discovered some on Etsy recently and thought it was lovely, but was disappointed that they didn't have purple, but you've found some - YAY!!!

I love that your kids only have tuckshop once a term, my kids reckon they're the only hard done by kids in the world, coz all the other kids get tuckshop every day/week! Poor loves. ;-)

Hey, is there no chance you can get to the Sew It Together in May? I'm going along and would love to meet you.

Hugs
Kelly :-)

Beck said...

Great twine Posie, I love it! love all your new bits, lucky you! xo

Jodie said...

ooooh....stickers.....mmmmmmm

Cass said...

I got some of that Divine Twine before Christmas too and had great fun wrapping all my presents in brown paper and twine

Rosalind said...

Nice packaging Posie! Thanks for all your lovely comments, lovely lady :-)

Kylie said...

Looks great - the kids will get a kick out of having there lunch order in thse. Amelia's Kindy requests that there morning tea be sent in a brown paper bag - I have rolled across them with a teddy ber roller - she is so excted and cant wait to start and use it!

yardage girl said...

I love Divine Twine too - I can't get enough of it!! Nic

Market Girl said...

Hey Jen thanks for the mention, love the stuff you have done. I really like the bags you made too. x

Corrie said...

ohhh I need some twine next week for a project, maybe I need to go to donna hay!

Corrie:)

Jo said...

I saw the divine twine here http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2009/11/orange-bakers-twine.html and have been dreaming about it ever since. I too am a packaging-aholic.

What is it about nice packaging? Is there nothing better?

Tania McCartney said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous girl! Now I just have to get me some red and white butcher's twine. If you see any in your travels... x

Jodie said...

Gorgeous twine!!! Love the little stickers too, too cute...

Hugs
Jodie :)

Julie said...

Very nice. I love wrapping and unwrapping nice packages.

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Lunch orders still taken on brown paper bags? Yay! Flashbacks from school in the 70's and 80's - lovely :)

Anastasia said...

awesome!! i love twine, cotton strings and brown paper bags!!
off to check it all out!

Anonymous said...

The twine is just lovely. You can buy it within Australia at www.brown-paper-packages.com.au too. Pink/White and Red/White are on their way.